The Handgun Fundamentals course is a great way to immerse beginning and intermediate shooters through a comprehensive, live-fire range training session. This course covers multiple aspects of handgun safety, firearm and ammunition functions, range safety, marksmanship, practical shooting techniques and much more.
The curriculum was developed by experienced firearms training experts at Adiga Armory, and is modeled similar to the NRA “Basics of Pistol Shooting” course. This course is designed to provide maximum learning efficacy in the core aspects of handgun fundamentals. Our trainers are NRA and UT-BCI certified pistol instructors and military veterans, so you can be assured that you are receiving the best training available.
You will spend 4-hours on the shooting range with the instructor conducting practical exercises. The course is open to all major pistol action types [single/double action; semi-auto/revolver] to give students a thorough understanding of how their handguns function.
This course can be used to satisfy your training requirement to obtain a Colorado Concealed Carry Permit.
THIS COURSE COVERS THE FOLLOWING SUBJECTS:
- Pistol Characteristics
- Action Types
- Safety Features
- Operating a Pistol
- Proper grip of the handgun
- Operating the controls [mag release, safety, slide lock, etc]
- Loading and inserting a mag
- Chambering a round
- Proper ammo selection
- Ammo Storage
- Range vs. defensive ammo
- Shooting a Pistol
- Drawing from a holster [optional]
- Sight alignment
- Breathing control
- Trigger control
- Practical Shooting Exercises
- Bench Rest
- Strong & Weak Hand
- Shooting With a Flashlight
- Pistol Shooting Errors
- Bad grip/limp wrist
- Thumb over backstrap
- Index finger on trigger guard
- Thumbs touching slide
- Identify and Clear Pistol Stoppages
- Double feed
- Mag problems
- Pistol Cleaning and Maintenance
- Guided tutorial
- Field strip the gun
- Properly clean/lube the action, barrel, frame and slide
- Reassemble the gun
WHO CAN TAKE THIS CLASS?
- Any lawful US citizen or permanent resident who is not prohibited from possessing firearms under federal or state laws
- You must be at least 14 years old; minors under 18 must be accompanied and monitored by a parent/guardian at all times
- US Citizens & Permanent Residents only
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
- 4-hours of range training [live-fire]
- Your range fee
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
- Guns and mags [Gun rentals available]
- Ammunition [Available for purchase]
- Eye and ear protection [Available for purchase]
- Food and drinks
- See the Equipment page for more info on rentals and purchases
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING TO CLASS?
- Your handgun of choice; one gun per student [required]. Rentals available.
- At least 2 magazines for semi-autos [required]. Included with rentals.
- At least 200-rounds of new, factory ammunition [required]. No reloads.
- Eye and ear protection [required].
- Must sign a liability release waiver [required]. Minors must have parent present to sign.
- Valid US-State government-issued photo ID [required]. Minors must have parent show ID.
- Food and drinks [recommended].
- Gun cleaning kit [optional].
- Finger-less shooting gloves [optional].
- Pen and notebook [optional].
- Season-appropriate clothing [we shoot at a covered, outdoor range in all weather except for extreme/dangerous weather].
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
$79 Per Adult [18 and up], $59 Per Minor [age 14-17] with a paying adult. Range fees $$$ included in price.